By: Maria Climent Huguet
Maria Climent is a 26-year-old Catalan lady. After studying translation, she decided her life was odd enough to became a humor scriptwriter and by default, a blogger. This is how she’s now a mother of no one and a better person. She also likes to cook!
Let’s see how good travelling is for your mental (and also physical) health. In these difficult times when life seems to put us to the test, here are some extra reasons for you to decide to start an adventure.
1. You leave trouble behind: You don’t engage in your travel when you are on the plane, or preparing you luggage the night before, you start it as soon as you decide to go on that trip. Your head is already travelling. You are already imagining what it will be like, who you will meet; creating expectations. And letting go of everyday worries is good for your health, and so it is having a dream – motivation.
2. You achieve a new insight: As you get away from your normal environment you are leaving your every day routine behind. Moreover, changing habits and sceneries helps to open your mind, to have new insight and, therefore, new abilities to face trouble or maybe you may stop seeing something as trouble after an intense experience.
3. You live the moment: When travelling, there are so many stimuli from the exterior that you have to inevitably live the moment. You won’t be in the middle of a safari with a lion in front of you and a hippopotamus behind and be thinking about the fact that your parents want to ask for a credit to buy one of the apartments in Venice, for example. And this “living-in-the-present” is what is called the Zen state.
4. Learn from others and teach other people: New people play a great role in you travel experience. They give you different points of views, different perspectives, they can teach you new things and also, you can teach them things from your culture. Which makes you more tolerant, open minded and critical about yourself.
5. You gain self esteem: When you go travelling you achieve something – what you’ve been planning for so long, and hey, not everybody who thinks about it, does it in the end. You know by doing it, that you are braver than most people and you should be proud of yourself. Also, you are able to adapt to new environments, at least try to speak in other languages, learn new dishes to cook and different customs.
6. Travelling will heal you: Whether you suffer from physical or emotional pain, what is true is that pain and illness is directly related to your brain. Changing habits, good mood, achieving challenges, meeting new people… all these things will help you forget any pain or trouble you may have, whether it is that your girlfriend has left you, your parents cannot pay for the credit of their Venice apartments or your musculature is atrophied. Direct contact with nature and a good dose of fun will help you.