In the 800s, Vikings arrived in Iceland from Norway and established the land on which now is home to numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites. If that isn’t a good enough reason to visit the eco-friendly “Land of Fire,” travel to Iceland to discover a preserved language and forest-free zones.
There is a bit of something for everyone in Iceland, and it’s a great destination for a peaceful getaway. Use sites like Expedia to find the cheapest flights to Iceland and start planning your itinerary!
A Striking Country with a Viking History
Iceland is a forest-free zone, you ask? That’s right. The Nordic island nation sits on the surface of tectonic plates. It was these tectonic plates that collided to form the treeless landscape, where volcanic eruptions prevent vegetation from flourishing. This doesn’t mean that the landscape is not visually appealing, however. Quite the opposite actually.
Home to Europe’s first parliament grounds, Iceland is an enchanting place where the locals have been known to put a halt to building projects, should they believe elves to reside in the construction area. Showing off swathes of agriculture, pristine coastline and snow-capped mountain peaks, the glacial-filled region is a utopia for nature lovers.
- Active Volcanoes and Volcanic Rivers – A volcanic eruption that occurred some 4,000 years ago created Selvallavatn – one of approximately 60 lakes around the country. Notable lakes include Mývatn, Hálslón and Kvíslavatn, and the Volcanic Fishing Lakes, better known as Veidivötn. Since there are 130 active volcanoes scattered around Iceland, is there any wonder why it is a tree-less utopia?
- Solitude and Empty Roads – If you like to wander, you’ve probably pictured yourself strolling along an empty road at night, gazing up at the stars. This is something that you can do when you visit Iceland. One such place that entices peace-seekers is the Westfjords region. With its flat terrain, Iceland’s secluded roads are ideal for road-tripping!
- Northern Lights – The Northern Lights in Iceland are a prime motive for curious explorers who are keen to witness the dancing of green and white lights. The “Aurora Borealis” occurs when atoms collide with Planet Earth’s atmosphere. The natural spectacle is best viewed on clear nights. A night huddled beneath the astonishing night sky in high-latitude areas of Iceland is a great opportunity to create amazing video content for your blog.
- Natural Spas – Water sprouts from a depth in excess of 2,000 meters beneath the surface of Planet Earth to produce healing hot springs that are even being used to produce skincare products! Consider the hot springs around Iceland a natural spa, because the warm water is full of minerals that can treat skin conditions like psoriasis. The Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths, Mývatn Nature Baths and Seljavallalaug are some examples of Iceland’s best hot springs.
- Waterfalls and Beaches – Lovers of the coast will fall deeply in love with Iceland, where over 10,000 waterfalls dot the fairytale-like landscape. Let’s not forget about the sublime shorelines, such as Nauthólsvík, Djúpalónssandur and Borgarfjörður. Perhaps the prettiest stretches of beach can be found in the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. Make your way to the East Fjords during your trip and seek out the beach at the bottom of Mount Vestrahorn, where the ever-changing landscape is home to a shipwreck, lighthouse and an abandoned Viking village film set.
- Rock Formations and Hiking Trips – Over a long period of time, basaltic lava lowers in temperature. When this happens, jaw-dropping geometric formations creep to astounding heights around Iceland, some of which reach higher than 2,000 meters, including Hvannadalshnjukur in Oraefajokull glacier, (2,111 meters) and Bardarbunga in Vatnajokull glacier (2,009 meters). A hiking haven, the Nordic island nation of Iceland boasts some of the best hiking trails, not to mention some of the most challenging mountain hiking routes.
- Glaciers and Ice Caves – You can easily book an ice cave tour in Iceland, where glaciers like Vatnajökull, Hofsjökull and Langjökull give the country its nickname – ‘The Land of Fire and Ice’. A natural phenomenon, new ice caves develop all of the time, adding to the wintery beauty of Iceland.
- Traditional Food – Feast on the foods of Iceland to treat your taste buds to a mouthwatering combination of flavors, most of which are plucked from the ocean in the form of seared minke whale, fermented shark, fresh tuna and perfectly pink salmon. Not everything is about seafood in Iceland, however. Famous dishes include Slátur (Liver Sausage and Blood Pudding), Hangikjöt (Smoked Lamb) and “Ein með öllu” – a lamb-based traditional Icelandic hot dog smothered in onions, herbs, carrots… the list goes on.
- Historic Sights – Iceland is an enchanting place steeped in history. Known in English as the “Church of Iceland”, Hallgrímskirkja stands tall at 74.5 meters. Blending expressionist architecture with a Gothic Revival design, Iceland’s tallest building is one of numerous historic sights that pepper the landscape. Others include Einar Jonsson Museum (Listasafn Einars Jonssonar), Hofdi House (Reykjavik) and the age-old cabins by Þingvallavatn Lake.
- Wildlife – Ever seen a puffin bird up-close? You stand a good chance at crossing this one off your bucket list if you book cheap flights to Iceland, where a whopping 8-10 million Atlantic Puffin birds paint the landscape. The fertile environment is a haven for a vast range of wild mammals, such as reindeer, rabbits and the Arctic Fox. Marine life is equally as diverse. Spend an afternoon cruising along Icelandic waters to catch sight of dolphins, whales and slippery seals!
It is time to talk about Sri Lanka travel guide as this is a place where you are sure to feel pleased with the bounty of attractions. To be here you can make a list of best holiday destination ideas and get prepared for a blast in Sri Lanka. The former name of Sri Lanka is Ceylon. This is an island nation on the Indian Ocean.
It is timed to go through the Sri Lanka travel guide to know about some of the best places to visit here and feel elated. The country comes with a diverse landscape and there are rainforests and arid plains, and you can even see highlands and sandy beaches.
The Dambulla Cave Temple
As part of Sri Lanka travel guide, you can visit the destination known as the Dambulla Cave Temple. This is the massive edifice in the country of Sri Lanka. Here you can see the 12th-century statues and paintings. At the temple, you have five different rooms of various sizes.
Sri Lanka travel guide states the specialty of the temple. In all the rooms you can see Buddha sitting in different styles. The statues look peaceful and calm. The temple stands on the black rocky mountain and this serves as a perfect contrast with the beautiful white temple walls.
Yala National Park
When consulting Sri Lanka travel guide you get to know about the destination of Yala National Park. This is one of the top tourist sites in Sri Lanka. It would be a regret if you don’t come here being a wildlife lover. It is the home of exotic wildlife and the place is just ideal to watch the collection of birds.
You find the mention of the National Park in the Sri Lanka travel guide and the place is really rare and interesting. Here you would love to see the elephants bathing in the stream, and the leopards resting lazily on the tree trunks.
Sri Lanka travel guide is never complete without the mentioning of Arugam Bay. This is known to be the tortoise heaven for the adrenaline junkies. This is where you can go for surfing and speed boating. The place encourages innumerable water sports and activities.
At the Arugam Bay, as stated by Sri Lanka travel guide, you can find the slanting line of the coconut trees. If you have the desire to surf in the turquoise water this is the ideal spot for the reason. The place lies on the south-east coast of Sri Lanka and it is 320 kilometers from Colombo.
When going through Sri Lanka travel guide you will seemingly come to know about the place called Galle. This is a 16th-century marvel and there are more things you can admire at the place. This is a one-stop destination known for its exclusive sights and sounds.
Sri Lanka travel guide is here to describe in details the specialty of being at Galle. You would really love the view of the cobblestoned Galle Fort. Here you can sit at one of the eateries or cafes to try from the local cuisines.
The northeast coast of the United States of America features some of the oldest cities in the country. These places are rich with historical landmarks and also modern attractions. This mix of places to see combined with the countryside makes the region a good choice for a road trip. This article will look several locations someone on an American road trip across the northeastern United States would have to check out. The trip will start in Boston and end in Washington D.C., spanning a good portion of the region. Just make sure to have up-to-date liability insurance for your car, as the traffic in these cities can get a little hairy.
Boston was a major location for colonial America. There are several historic sites from the past as well as statues and monuments to honor the history. This includes places like the Plimoth Plantation, the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museums, and the Freedom Trail. Each of these locations is sure to enrich your understanding of American history for both children and adults alike. The city of Boston is just a beautiful place to explore. Its olden style is very appealing. From here, the next stop on your road trip will be to the big apple, otherwise known as New York City.
New York City
Compared to many of the other cities in the northeast, New York City is much more sprawling and stunning. It features skyscrapers that extend out for miles and miles. The inner city is divided up into various subsections, each with a unique name and culture in their own right. The Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Statue of Liberty are great choices for big tourist attractions of the Big Apple among countless others. One suggestion though: park the car for a few days and ride the New York subway. Not only will it prevent unnecessary headaches behind the wheel, riding the NYC subway is an iconic experience of American urban life.
The next stop on this northeast adventure is through Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It can’t be understated how important this city was to the American Revolution. The Liberty Bell, President’s House, and the National Constitution Center are just handful of historical sites worth checking out. However, history might not be for everyone or maybe you need a break, in which case grab a cheesesteak sandwich and head down to one of the many things to do in Philadelphia which don’t involve history
The final destination on this trip is, of course, Washington D.C., the capital of the United States. Getting an up and close view of the White House and the Lincoln Memorial are life-changing experiences. It shows just how far the country has come and yet stands a symbol pointing towards the future. There are other places to visit in the surrounding area as well, including George Washington’s home of Mount Vernon in Virginia as well as Rock Creek Park in Maryland.
At last, the American road trip over the northeastern United States is complete. From Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and all the places in between, this trip quite the journey. There are countless historical sites along the way, with each one showing us specific events from the past. There are several landmarks to remind us to protect the future as well. Along the there are a few entertainment detours such as downtown New York and sports events. Regardless, there’s much to explore on this road trip. Make it a fun time.
There is something thrilling about Galapagos vacation. This is an island area with the best things to do and see. The island is strikingly different and special. Among all the features you would love to see the active volcanoes. The trip here is going to be challenging. For the reason, it is best to avail of the travel packing tips.
It is lovely going for Galapagos vacation. The experience of being at the place is just fabulous. If you are a wildlife watcher you can make your way to the small town of Puerto Ayora. The Charles Darwin Research Station is one more attraction of the destination so special out of the rest.
It is great to go for Galapagos vacation and be at Leon Dormido. The name of the place signifies a sleeping lion. The shape of the island is unique. It looks like a complete cone that has been eroded in the halfway.
The place is a major attraction and it makes a better part of Galapagos vacation. Here you can see small boats sailing through the rocks. This is an island specifically accessed by the snorkelers and the small boats. Here you can go for a day trip and make the arrangements in advance.
El Chato Tortoise Reserve
Galapagos vacation is really exhilarating with a trip to El Chato Tortoise Reserve. The sight of the small creatures is really going to make you love the show. This is the place to see the giant tortoise moving in the wild. This is where you can watch for some of the prehistoric beasts.
The trip to the reserve is indeed going to make Galapagos vacation really interesting. This is the best place to watch for the short-eared owls, Darwin’s finches, yellow warblers, Galápagos rails and paint-billed crakes. There are more things you would prefer to see at the place with the best of thrill and enthusiasm.
A specialty of Coco Surf
When on a Galapagos vacation it is time to go for Coco Surf. This is the special sidewalk café where you are served with some of the scrumptious cuisines. The taste of the food is lovely, and you feel like go on munching.
Coco Surf is one of the real attractions of Galapagos vacation. You can be here to taste from the serving of tuna tartare and patanachos mar y terra. There is even the appetizer platter with the collection of the seafood and the fresh meat.
Charles Darwin Research Station
To make Galapagos vacations memorable you can at best visit the Charles Darwin Research Station. This lies to the northeast of Puerto Ayora. Here you can visit the iconic National Park. More to your interest you get to know about the 200 scientists involved in various research at the place.
The Charles Darwin Research Station is one of the major attractions of Galapagos vacation. Here is the arrangement of the captive breeding program for the giant tortoise. There are paths to lead you to the arid zone vegetation. The area is just fantastic to make you feel entertained for hours.
The Patagonia trip is perfectly relaxing and of the top-notch quality. Patagonia is the most encompassing region, and it holds the extensive southernmost tip part of South America. Here you find both Chile and Argentina and the Andes Mountain acts as the dividing line. If you are looking for best holiday destination ideas then a trip to the place would be perfect.
The Argentine side of Patagonia comprises of the arid steppes. There are more of grasslands and deserts. Patagonia trip is made perfect with the glacial fjords and the temperate sort of rainforests. The famous Argentine Whale-watch in Puerto Madryn
RN-40 highway passes through the land, and this makes Patagonia ideal for tourism.
As part of the Patagonia trip you can settle for whale watching, and for this, the best destination is Puerto Madryn. The climate here is warm, and the area is enclosed with the water bodies along Golfo Nuevo, Golfo San José, and even the coastline area close to Caleta Valdés.
The Patagonia trip is just exciting. You have the best things to see in this special aquatic destination. The best time to be here is from June to middle of December. A whale watching trip at the place will not take more than an hour. It is just too exciting to join the crew and go for whale watching.
External Adventures at El Chaltén
You would love to go for the external adventures as part of the Patagonia trip. For this, you can be at El Chaltén. This is the area surrounded by mountains, and this makes the spot just ideal for hiking, rock climbing, and horseback riding.
Patagonia trip is made fantastic by being here. You can ride on a horse and enter the pretty valley of Río de las Vueltas. The rest is just stupendous for you to enjoy and encompass at the same time.
Dinosaur Discovery at Palaeontology Museum
Patagonia trip is really going to be wonderful with the dinosaur discovery at Palaeontology Museum. Here you get to see the fossils of this extinct animal. There is the natural history museum for you to discover some of the finest natural stuff.
When on a Patagonia trip you must be sure to be at the destination so special. Here you can discover more than 1700 fossils, and you can even watch out for the remains of the plant and the marine life. This is a three hours tour as you have many things to see at the same time.
Walking with the Prehistoric Creatures
When planning for Patagonia trip you should always make sure to have a walk with the prehistoric stuff. When visiting northwest Patagonia you would be happy to discover the Dinosaur Route. Here it is surely going to be a wonderful adventure for you.
When walking through the route as part of the Patagonia trip you will find the skeletons of the biggest dinosaurs. The visit is sensational and exciting. In fact, the route is a mystery till date and people are trying to find out the newest truths about the destination so interesting.